Applied Research Scientist, Cancer Epidemiology
Applied Research Scientist, Cancer Epidemiology
- Location Tampa, FL
- Facility Moffitt Research Center (MRC)
- Department Cancer Epidem-Staff
- Schedule – Shift – Hours Full Time – Day Shift – M-F 8:30 -5 pm
- Req #: 71136
At Moffitt Cancer Center, we come face-to-face with cancer every day, but we also see courage. And it inspires us to be the safest and best place for cancer care – to bring greater hope to every patient we serve. It’s why we’ve been continually named One of the Top Places to Work in the Tampa Bay Area. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, Moffitt employs some of the best and brightest minds from around the world. Moffitt is the leading cancer hospital in both Florida and the Southeast and has been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report since 1999. Because working at Moffitt is both a career and a mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Join a dedicated, diverse and inclusive team of over 7,000 to be a part of the Courageous future we envision.
The Applied Research Scientist position will support the research and research team activities of Dr. Anna Giuliano, an epidemiologist with ongoing investigations to understand infection-related cancers, particularly to develop improved methods for their prevention through screening and improved treatments. Dr. Giuliano leads multiple domestic and multinational studies, including development of early detection cancer biomarkers, clinical trials for the prevention of HPV-related cancers among people living with HIV in Latin America and the Caribbean, and research of understudied virally-associated cancers among men and women living with HIV in sub-Saharan Africa.
This position is comparable to a staff scientist role: an essential contributor to analysis, writing, and grant preparation for ongoing and future research projects under the general direction of Dr. Giuliano. This position will have ample opportunities for authorship and other documentable career-enhancing activities.
- Writes and prepares manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication of a variety of research studies
- Independently works with biostatisticians to complete statistical analyses
- Generates scientific sections of grant applications with appropriate guidance
- Develops and initiates protocols for and high-level coordination of multiple studies
- Potential to network in large international research consortia
The Ideal Candidate:
- PhD in epidemiology, with a focus in infectious disease and/or cancer epidemiology, or a closely aligned quantitative field
- Has research experience in the academic and/or clinical setting, preferably in oncology
- Strong writing skills and enthusiasm for writing as demonstrated by first author publications
- Statistical programming experience, including demonstrated proficiency in SAS and R
- Experience collaborating in a multidisciplinary environment
- A critical, independent, and creative thinker
- A professional, personable, and organized individual
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Grant writing experience is highly desired
- Under appropriate direction and guidance, performs research and related support activities including, (a) development, implementation, and management of research projects; (b) preparation of drafts of regulatory protocols and reports, manuscripts, and grants and (c) presentation of research at scientific meetings
- Interacts closely with Investigators and their collaborators in the consortium setting.
- Maintains membership and regularly attends appropriate professional associations, conferences, workshops, lectures, and seminars as supported by the overseeing Investigators.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Minimum of an M.D. or Ph.D. in a discipline relevant to epidemiology or related field is required
- 2 years post-doctoral experience is preferred
- Experience working on research related to HPV and/or HIV is preferred
Interested applicants should send a single PDF file that includes a current CV with recent publications, a personal statement of scientific interests and goals, and contact information for three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Moffitt Cancer Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. We seek candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Moffitt endeavors to make moffitt.org/careers accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact one of the Human Resources receptionists by phone at 813-745-7899 or by email at HRReceptionists@moffitt.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law.